Saturday, December 28, 2013

Heads Up.



It might be worth mentioning a couple of interesting links for anyone who hasn't already seen them. First, if you like the look of the fly line to leader connection method above, feast your eyes on this:


I've spent the last few years creating loops in the end of my floating lines by exposing the braid core, doubling back and then applying a varnished thread whipping to hold it all in place (see here). This has proved to be infinitely better than the shop bought braided loop/minicon type job and I've been reasonably pleased with it. The method isn't infallible though; there is a tendency over time for the end of the plastic line coating to split where it meets the varnished whip, and the whole shebang needs re-doing. Sometimes I get a full season out of a loop, often I don't. I'd say overall, that I'm 75% happy with the loop formed in this manner.

Of course, we flyfishers are always on the lookout for better solutions to problems, and the method described by Stuart Minnikin in the link above certainly looks like a better solution to me. I won't lie to you: it's a bit tricky.....and it took me a few goes to arrive at the acceptably neat result shown in the photo at top. But I'm really impressed by the seamless transition it gives, along with the short 'sighter' of braid which will come in very useful when nymphing. It's something I'm very much looking forward to trying.
A tip: I found the key to the operation to be correct needle size - big enough eye to be able to thread the 20lb braid though, but slim enough to push up the core of a #3 fly line (obviously it gets easier on heavier weight lines and my #4 and #6 floaters proved a relative doddle). I took a trip to Hobbycraft and purchased a few different needle sets - the one which worked best for me was an embroidery needle size 9.

The second link to which I would like to draw your attention is this one:


Regular visitors here will know that Rob is a good mate of mine, and obviously I'm going to be biased about this. Even so, I'm sure you'll agree that his new website is a splendid effort. Rob's flair for fly tying and photography is impressive and over the last year or two has deservedly found a place in the pages of Trout and Salmon magazine, most recently with his 'Fly of the Month' slot. Each of those articles can be revisited on the website, along with a whole bunch of other stuff, including the opportunity to purchase Rob's now legendary threadless buzzers. Have a gander - it's good stuff.











5 comments:

Ben Lupton said...

That does look very effective Matt, might look in to giving it a go.

ssj said...

Thanks for the Rob Denson link. Interesting.

Mike Cooper said...

Hey Matt. Looks like a great method. I'll have to give that a go at some point. Your mate Rob's site looks fantastic in it finished state too - some fantastic flies and photography right there! Cheers, Mike

George said...

Nicely Done & very neat thanks for sharing

Flyfisherman. Richard. said...

I like the look of that one Matt, thanks.

I seem to have lost my comments, could you send me a comment just so I can see it's still working please?

Thanks Buddy.